DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
THE HEART PROJECT
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
As its mission, The HeArt Project combats the epidemic high school dropout crisis with a long-term, sequential arts program offering students a pursuable life path that inspires them to stay in school, evolve as unique individuals and flourish as creative adults. As one program participant said: “I really believe this program is what kept me in school. There was really nothing in it for me until I had art.”
The HeArt Project (www.theheartproject.org) was founded in 1992 as a one-site arts workshop to help fill the void in arts education among Los Angeles inner city youth. In the 19 years since, HP has expanded and refined its program as an innovative approach to dropout prevention and now serves approximately 650 students in 25 alternative high school classrooms each week. In 2010, HP extended its partnership with the L.A. County Office of Education to jointly establish the Hollywood Media Arts Academy, which provides focused arts education and core subject instruction for alternative education high school students who have shown a potential and interest in the arts. As HP’s administrative and programmatic “hub”, the two-classroom academy houses student galleries, and space for artist/educator training and resources for program alumni. Over the years, HP has established and maintained partnerships with nearly every major cultural institution in Los Angeles, as well as a number of professional art venues, creative businesses, and working artists of all disciplines.
The HeArt Project seeks a Development and Communications Director to lead its fundraising and marketing efforts. This position will report to, and work closely with, the Executive Director in the following areas:
- Plan and execute organizational fundraising strategy to raise annual operating budget of $1M through foundation, corporate, government and individual sources.
- Identify, cultivate, and develop on-going relationships with foundations, corporations, partners, and individuals to promote and publicize The HeArt Project’s mission, secure financial support, and expand The HeArt Project’s visibility.
- Maintain fund development calendar, including timelines and deadlines for all foundation and government grant applications, reports, and site visits.
- Oversee planning and production of The HeArt Project’s annual benefit dinner.
- Prepare reports for and attend bi-monthly meetings of the Board of Directors
- Manage Development and Communications Associate, grant writer, and event volunteers.
Marketing / Communications
- Develop and implement effective outreach strategies to communicate The HeArt Project’s mission/activities to stakeholders.
- Ensure message/identity consistency across print, web, on-site, email and social media platforms.
- Oversee marketing material content, timelines, and production process.
- Represent The HeArt Project at public events.
- Manage graphic designer and vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 3-5 years experience in non-profit fundraising/marketing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize competing deadlines effectively.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships across diverse stakeholder segments.
- Excellent writing skills to produce professional, clear and compelling proposals and other solicitation materials, acknowledgments, reports, public announcements, and routine business correspondence; and ability to evaluate and edit any of these documents for content, style, and format.
- Experience in planning special events such as dinners, receptions, meetings and tours from inception to follow up.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience using a donor management database.
- Ability to motivate others toward common goals.
- Working knowledge of FileMaker Pro, Dreamweaver, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in using social media to raise funds and promote events/content with tangible results.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Development and Communications Director is a full-time position and compensation will be commensurate with experience. Employee benefits include medical and life insurance, 403(b) plan, and paid time-off package.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Robert Briseño, Office Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This post was submitted by Suzy Foster.