Development Manager, Ford Theatre Foundation
This position, reporting operationally to the Managing Director of the Ford Theatres, manages and executes grant writing, individual donor cultivation and supports board development for the Ford Theatre Foundation in Hollywood, California.
The Ford Theatre Foundation, in partnership with the Los Angeles County Arts Commission and Department of Parks and Recreation, supports and produces programs based out of the John Anson Ford Theatres complex that nurture the development of Los Angeles County-based artists, arts organizations and audiences with innovative programs designed to engage and encourage participation in the live performing arts. The John Anson Ford Theatres complex is one of the oldest performing arts venues in Los Angeles still in use and includes the open air Ford Amphitheatre and intimate indoor [Inside] the Ford theatre. Each year, the Ford hosts nearly 200 diverse dance, music, theatre, film and family events that cultivate a community spirit for the people of greater Los Angeles to discover and understand cultures of their region and the world.
The Development Manager will serve a critical function in supporting the Foundation’s expanded efforts to build a vibrant and diverse community centered on the live performing arts. Currently, the Foundation is embarking on plans to renovate and expand both its facilities and programming in order to deepen its impact on the greater Los Angeles region. To learn more about the Ford, please visit www.fordtheatres.org.
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
• Managing and executing the Ford Theatre Foundation’s corporate, foundation and government grants including conducting research and making recommendations on grant opportunities; producing high quality proposals for new and continuing grant opportunities; developing systems and protocols to manage and track grant awards; generating interim and final grant reports and preparing all correspondence regarding grants administration.
• Conceptualizing, developing and implementing a year-round individual giving campaign for the Ford Theatre Foundation including: researching and making recommendations on effective donor campaigns appropriate to Ford Theatres’ audiences and stakeholders; cultivating new donors, implementing new programs and producing special events that engage and expand the individual donor pool; renewing and upgrading current donors through annual giving, end-of-year giving, and special appeals; overseeing donor benefit fulfillment; building relationships with donors and prospects; and planning and coordinating donor and patron events.
• Serving as the primary point of contact with the Ford Theatre Foundation’s Board of Directors to coordinate meetings; assist in the identification and recruitment of new board members; respond to board member requests for information and communicate development initiatives with the Board.
• Interview and coordinate with both Ford Theatres staff and organizational partners to produce grant proposals and reports that illustrate the work of the John Anson Ford Theatres in a clear and compelling manner.
Successful applicants will:
• Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university, preferably with major course work in the arts or a related field;
• Have two or more years experience in non-profit development including experience with individual donors, grant-writing and board relations, preferably in the performing arts field;
• Have outstanding written and oral communication skills;
• Be detail-oriented with demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and work well under pressure to meet competing deadlines;
• Be dependable, responsive, prepared and flexible with the ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team; and
• Have strong command of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook with the ability and willingness to learn new software/operating systems, including development tracking software.
Candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, résumé, professional writing sample (include purpose and intended audience) and three professional references. All submissions should be emailed to the attention of Adam Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org, with Development Manager Application as the subject line. Please do not submit any application materials through the US mail or call regarding the
status of the submission. Application materials will be reviewed as received. Position will remain open until the staffing need is met and may close without advance notice; therefore, submission at the earliest opportunity is advised.