Inner-City Arts is a multi-disciplinary arts campus located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, serving over 10,000 children, youth, teachers and families during the school day, after school and on weekends. We believe the arts are the cornerstone of a high-quality education that levels the learning field across socioeconomic boundaries.
Inner-City Arts is seeking an experienced Grant Writer to join the Inner-City Arts Development Team. Reporting to the Deputy Director and working collaboratively with program staff, other members of the Development Team, and the Inner-City Arts community, this person shall have a strong attention to detail, a positive outlook, and an interest in education and the arts.
Responsibilities: The Grant Writer is responsible for all activities associated with the researching, writing, and reporting of grants at Inner-City Arts and reports to the Deputy Director. Specific responsibilities include:
- Research potential sources of funding among foundations, corporations and government agencies. Identify specific areas of focus and eligibility requirements, and match the results with Inner-City Arts’ needs, programs and mission.
- Review publications and online resources for information regarding funding opportunities and development ideas.
- Write persuasive and compelling letters of inquiry, proposals, applications, reports and other materials as assigned.
- Track grant application due dates, assess advance data gathering and source requirements for each funder, and prepare material to complete the applications.
- Gather information and data pertaining to Inner-City Arts programs, initiatives and activities that can be used to support grant proposals.
- Work with the Chief Financial Officer to prepare required financial statements for proposals and reports.
- Prepare profiles of potential funders, including their boards or trustees, so that networking opportunities can be identified and utilized as appropriate. Maintain both online and paper files for each potential funding source.
- For successful grants, review the grant agreements and ensure that all reporting requirements and deadlines are met. Ensure compliance with content requirements and submission deadlines for all interim and final reports to foundations.
- Prepare and maintain a schedule of development tasks relating to grant writing (i.e., Development Tickler Excel file).
- Create, proofread and edit documents, publications and online copy for all Inner-City Arts departments as needed.
- Create and maintain a library of templates, consisting of written descriptions of Inner-City Arts, its history and mission, programs and services, population served, financial condition, philosophy and vision.
- Handle any tasks or activities as defined by supervisor or CEO as needed.
- Demonstrated superior writing skills. Knowledge of marketing concepts a plus.
- Prior grant writing experience in the non-profit community preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or other related field required, master’s preferred.
- Knowledge of philanthropic, corporate and individual giving in the non-profit landscape.
- Exceptional organizational, communication and project management skills.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office products: Photoshop a plus, PC and Mac literate.
- Proficient using fundraising software and informational databases. Knowledge of Donor Perfect preferred.
- Experience working with social media applications (e.g., Facebook, Twitter).
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task and to work both independently and with specific direction. Works well in a collaborative and team-focused environment.
HOURS: Full-time position/40 hours per week including evenings, early mornings or weekend hours.
LOCATION: Inner-City Arts is located in the downtown Los Angeles Warehouse District, adjacent to the Produce Mart and Skid Row.
TO APPLY: Mail/Fax/ Email resume and cover letter to: Human Resources, Inner-City Arts Attn: Grant Writer, 720 Kohler Street, Los Angeles, CA 90021; Fax: 213-627-6469;
Email email@example.com. No calls please.